Q. I have been hurt in a car wreck. How do I know if I have a case?

A. This is a two part answer. First, you must show that the other party was at fault in causing the accident. Then, you must show that you were personally injured as a result of the accident. Typically, we will not take an automobile accident case unless fault is relatively obvious and there is serious injury to you.

Q. How much does it cost to hire an injury attorney?

A. Almost all injury attorneys work on what is called a “contingent fee basis.” However, in addition to fees, there are costs involved in your case for things such as, expert opinions, Court fees, etc. The attorneys get paid only if they obtain a money settlement or judgment for you. Utah law permits attorneys to advance costs of litigation. Some attorneys advance these costs. Some do not. Here at Aaron J. Prisbrey, P.C. if we take your case, we do advance the cost of litigation. You are not obligated to reimburse those costs unless we obtain a favorable settlement or verdict on your behalf.

Q. I have been in an auto accident and the insurance company has contacted me. Should I give them a statement?

A. No, not if you have been injured. Some insurance adjustors are well versed in asking leading questions. If you have been injured in an auto accident, you should speak with an experienced personal injury attorney before giving any statement to the insurance company.

Q. I’ve been injured in an auto accident. The insurance company wants me to sign a medical release, should I?

A. No. Once you sign a medical release, the insurance company can get all of your medical records, regardless of whether they’re relevant to the accident. Once we take on a personal injury case, we provide the insurance carrier with the medical records which are relevant to the case.

Q. I have been hurt at work and the insurance company is paying benefits. Do I need the advice of an attorney?

A. Probably not. Over 80% of all workers’ compensation cases are resolved without an attorney involved. If the insurance carrier is paying for your medical expenses and time off work, chances are you do not need legal counsel.

Q. I have been hurt at work and the insurance company is not paying benefits. Do I need an attorney?

A. This is a difficult question to answer. Typically if the benefits being denied are limited, such as for prescription medication, physical therapy or a few days off work, you do not need an attorney. On cases like that, you should contact the Utah Labor Commission at 800-530-5090 and their staff can assist you. However, if the benefits being denied are substantial, such as spine surgery, permanent disability or other significant benefits, you will want to contact an experienced attorney.

Q. Are all personal injury attorneys the same?

A. No. For this very reason, Mr. Prisbrey wrote the book "Ten Essential Skills Your Personal Injury Attorney Must Have". Personal injury claims are very complex and quite difficult. Contrary to television advertising, they cannot be resolved over the phone with one phone call. As such, you need an experienced personal injury attorney to assist you in your serious injury claim.





Featured Media

Mr. Fancy Pants


Request Info

  • Aaron's Books:
    • "5 Deadly Sins That Can Wreck Your Utah Accident Case."
    • "5 Missteps That Can Cripple Your Utah Work Comp Case."
    • "10 Essential Skills Your Injury Attorney Must Have."
  • Visit our Blog
  • Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
  • Get Free Stuff